Thursday, February 19, 2009

Cookie Love


I wrapped up some of this biscotti from MARTHA for a few Valentine's Day treats. I LOVE this recipe...so tasty, and a healthier way to curb a cookie craving. Here we go.

1/2 cup dried cranberries
1/2 cup boiling water
3 cups all purpose flour, plus more for dusting
2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
4 Tbs. unsalted butter, room temp
1 cup sugar, plus more for sprinkling
3 large eggs, plus 1 large egg, lightly beaten
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 cup pistachios, coarsely chopped

1. preaheat oven to 375. Line baking sheet with parchment paper, set aside. Place cranberries in a small bowl; add boiling water. Let stand until plump, about 15 mins. Drain, and set aside. Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt into a medium bowl; set aside.
2. In the bowl of electric mixer, beat butter and sugar on med speed until light and fluffy. Add 3 eggs, one at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition and scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Beat in vanilla. Add flour mix and mix on low until combined. Mix in cranberries and pistachios.
3. Turn out dough (which is pretty sticky) onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape each piece into a 16x2 inch log, transfer to prepared baking sheet, about 3 inches apart. Flatten logs slightly with palm of hand. Brush beaten egg over surface of dough and sprinkle generously with sugar.
4. Bake, rotating sheet halfway through, until logs are slightly firm to touch, about 25 mins. Transfer logs on parchment paper to wire rack to cool slightly, about 20 mins. Reduce oven temp to 300.
5. Place logs on cutting board. Using a serrated knife, cut logs crosswise on the diagonal into 1/2 inch thick slices. Arrange slices, cut sides down. Bake until firm to touch, about 30 mins. Remove pan from oven, let cool completely. Can be kept in an airtight container at room temp for up to 1 week.

YUM!

1 comment:

Anna@Exasperation said...

Hey, this is totally unrelated but I needed to get in touch with you and I don't have your email (weird!). Anywho, I'm having some issues. So I'm getting back into running. I've been back at it for about 4 weeks now. I've surprised myself with how easy it's been but I think I got a little tooooooo ambitious and added mileage/speed too quickly. The infamous "too much, too soon." So now I've got a shin that's hurting a bit. I think I've had "shin splints" once in my life a long time ago. This doesn't feel like my leg is about to crack, rather it feels like a dull throb after a run. During the run I feel great; no pain whatsoever. AFTER the run I start to feel a little achey. Saturday I did a pretty intense four-miler and I was really pushing myself. I felt pretty decent by the end but when I got home I realized my right leg was starting to really hurt! I try to take it easy on my off days (I run M, W, cross-train F and run again Sat). I'm trying to run a 10K in April that I'd like to do in an hour and I'm currently pushing it at sub-11 minute miles. SO, my question: Should I take a week or two off and just cross-train? What should I do? Can I stair master and ellyptical? I've been doing the bike (not recumbent) on Fridays after the stair-master. Additionally, if I do take time off will I have to lower my mileage and build up again when I come back?
Injuries are so dumb. BUT I also don't want to sideline myself by not paying enough attention to this.
And feel free to email me at annarawlins at yahoo dot com.
Thanks, Kel!