Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Q & A

Question:

why does my face turn SO RED when I workout hard? Some days aren't as bad as others ??
Abby

Answer:

Well, considering that you don't have rosacea I'll continue with my educated guess (that you've probably guessed as well). When the body temperature begins to raise above it's normal 98.6 degrees, blood fills the capillaries closest to the skin in order to cool down. How visible this reaction is may have a lot to do with the amount and type of melanin, or pigmentation of your skin. The degree to which your face turns red could also depend on water intake, temperature, and diet. Remember, that these factors may come into play several days later, as my good doctor tells me, "You are what you eat, last week."
Don't feel alone though...apparently there are a whole lot of people out there who share your complaint!

Question:

When you say yoga, do you mean power yoga or a more traditional yoga?
Kristen

Answer:

When I say yoga, I mean, PLEASE just do it! Find the type that you can connect with and that you feel is most advantageous to what you want to accomplish. Personally, I like a stronger, more western based yoga than the humming and omming of the traditional eastern style. I love the relaxation and meditation that comes with most forms of yoga, but what I really love is moving into a difficult position and enjoying it! Most of the teaching I've done is based on power yoga and a lot of the students I've taught weren't looking for a spiritual experience, but rather to gain flexibility, strength, balance, and control. However, gain all of that and your spirit is bound to feel good!

1 comment:

Abby said...

cool info! so i thought of another question for you, but at the moment it has slipped my mind. i'll get back to you on that. in the mean time, keep up those interesting factual posts! i LOVE it!!