Thursday, April 8, 2010

You're all going to LOVE me!

(your visual)

Here is my new and improved

Chocolate Zucchini Muffin

recipe

I'd already new and improved it before, but I've been playing in the kitchen and I even surprised myself with how healthy I could push this recipe and still have it taste AMAZING! I almost think it's better than the original, and one thing is for sure, it's a whole lot better for you!

Almost every ingredient has a delightful purpose and the remaining few, well...it IS a muffin, and as I've said before, you can't bake a salad...but I tried!

Here goes...
Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

2 c grated zucchini, with peel
¼ c canola oil
¼ c applesauce
1 Tbs soft butter (I'm wondering if you even need it at all???...I'll try next batch..I made another batch sans butter, turned out great so just skip it!)
6 heaping Tbs beet pureed*
1 egg
2 Tbs milled flaxseed + 3 Tbs water
3 Tbs Wheat Germ
1 tsp vanilla
2/3 c sugar
¼ c honey/agave
½ c sour milk (1 ½ tsp lemon juice to ½ c milk)
Blend until smooth
Add stirring:
1 tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking soda
½ tsp baking powder
2/3 c cocoa
2 c whole wheat flour
½ c all purpose baking flour
Add ¾ c mini semi sweet chocolate chips

Pour into regular size muffin tin, sprayed with Bakers Joy (the spray with flour too). Bake at 325 for 18 - 20 mins or until firm to touch. According to my rough estimates, if you make a batch of 20-ish muffins, you'll get 113 calories/muffin and 2.5g fiber.

*Roast beets wrapped in foil at 350 for about an hour. Remove peel and cut into pieces. Puree in blender or food processor until smooth. Store in a zip lock bag and freeze for up to 2 months (divide into convenient amounts before freezing).

THESE muffins can also be stored in a air tight bag and frozen for a few months. They still taste DELISH!

3 comments:

gmontalvo13 said...

yum! i want to see pics of this masterpiece!

Susie said...

I will try this receipe!! Looks good!

Susie said...

this looks yummy, I'm going to try your receipe. Thanks