Monday, March 29, 2010

Training Log

I finally ran my 5k! A nearby town has $1 races every 2nd and 4th Saturday. I wasn't expecting much...as in very many people, but there was a nice turnout of 100. It ran pretty smoothly and low key...just my style! I liked it a lot because there wasn't a huge crowd to maneuver around.

I ended up getting 3rd overall behind two men that I'm totally going to take next time. I ran my normal low 19 mins (19:10). I'm just dying to break into 18! I've done it quite a few times in practice, but never in an actual race. I think being more familiar with the course will help. I really didn't know where I was or where the finish was. I probably would have turned it on earlier had I known. One of the guys was just a few steps in front of me, but by the time I realized the race was almost over, I didn't have enough time to get him.

I also did THE UNTHINKABLE in this race...yes, I wore earphones. I've never done it before and felt so morally torn at the thought of racing to music. I figured why not give it a try on a $1 race? ...and my opinion? I'm not a fan. I didn't necessarily concentrate on the music, but it was enough of a distraction that not many of my own thoughts were coming through. Maybe I would have noticed that the end of the race was near had I not been groovin' with Linkin Park? It kind of gave me a headache. Will I try it again...probably. It was kind of nice not to hear my tired, hurting thoughts either. Although I have to say, I don't think I had many of those. I felt really good in the race and just fine when I finished. What does that mean? I CAN GO FASTER!!!!

It was really fun to get out and run a quick race!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Congrats! That is awesome..you are super fast girl!

Mike said...

Hello,

Your blog has been recommended to us as a interviewee's favorite blog!

We would like to do an interview with you about your blog for Blog
Interviewer. We'd
like to give you the opportunity to
give us some insight on the "person behind the blog."

It would just take a few minutes of your time. The interview form can
be submitted online here Submit your
interview.

Best regards,

Mike Thomas

Anonymous said...

I am supposed to run a half marathon on April 23rd. My knees have been giving me tons of problems though. It is totally stressing me out. The doc gave me some anti-inflammatory pills and is sending me to physical therapy. Do you have any advice?

Kelly said...

Michelle,

knees are tricky things. Can you describe the pain a bit more. Do they hurt all the time, feel better after you've warmed up, inside, under the knee cap, popping???

richie bignell said...

Think you are doing a great job with this blog! very good