Monday, October 6, 2008

PRE



I've just finished reading PRE by Tom Jordan. Most runners know about Steve Prefontaine and his running legend, but I'm not going to be embraced to say I really didn't. For years I faked this knowledge in running circles, nodding my head while listening to "familiar" Pre stories. I wore a t-shirt with his face on it during my college CC years pretending that I was a big fan or something. Come on, if you run at all you have to know who PRE is. Right? As it turns out, he's a pretty interesting guy. He had an amazing running style, always leading the pack as the forerunner. He broke countless American records. He had a charismatic and unique personality that really drew 1,000's of spectators to the sport. He was at the top of it all, then he died. This book is a great one for motivation and inspiration. So, if you are any kind of runner at all, you should probably brush up on your Pre trivia.

2 comments:

Abby said...

yeah- i don't know about Pre either.. so thanks for the info.
I will be in on this jump contest also.
Nice on the shoes- that's exciting. I searched and searched for shoes-- I just kept going to the $120 ones. I did a big no-no and I tried them on. From that point on, I couldn't find anything better. Ugh. So- no new shoes for me :)
Are you READY for the big race this Saturday? I think I am I think I am. i hafta tell myself that.

Kristen said...

I haven't read the book but I LOVED the movie. Especially Jared Leto in the movie. Hey, I wasn't married then! It is a great story...it will make you cry.