Sunday, September 21, 2008

Challenges Complete

Tomorrow is the due date for September challenges. How did you all do?

I completed my 10k challenge yesterday at the Dallas Tour de Fleurs. It was a beautiful course along the lake and through the park arboretum. The first mile felt really great, but the rest of the race was rough. One thing that helps me get through a race is to take mental breaks along the way. Just a couple of seconds here and there to enjoy the scenery, enjoy the weather (which was great), enjoy the feeling of running (without thinking about how I need to speed up and catch the next person). One of the ways I do push myself is by focusing on the next person or group of runners. I think, "They're just a couple of strides in front going the same pace as me." Usually you can just speed up a few steps and then settle into the pace of the group until you need to move on again. As usual though, I did spend a lot of the race on my own, in between groups that I was trying to catch.

Happily, Abby and Sam ran in the race as well. It is always more fun to hang out with friends before and after the race...and during as well. We all did really well.

As for my own time and place, I didn't meet my goal of running the 10k in 40 mins or less. I really feel like I can reach that goal, but I would have to run a few more 10k's in order to better judge my pace and gain confidence in the distance. At times during the race I felt the energy to go faster, but held myself back not wanting to burn out unexpectedly in the last miles. If I am to run it under 40, this holding back would have to go! Finally, I did place first in my age group and ran a 42.55. I placed 72 out of 1,733 people.
For all race results go HERE.


What a great way to motivate yourself. It's motivating to think and work toward an upcoming race. It's also motivating to run a race and afterward think of how you can improve and DO IT AGAIN!

and what about EATING like a SAINT? I'm definitely not going to be translated immediately, but having a goal and people making an effort with me did help me to skip a few bowls of ice cream and keep my portion sizes real.

1 comment:

Lewis Family said...

Whoo Hoo! 1st in your age group is awesome! You did great!!! And I know you can get it under 40, too.