Thursday, February 11, 2010

a note on training

I just cover to very last page read my Running Times magazine. Sometimes the articles are a bit to namey/timey/statish for me, but usually I like to see what the great high school, colligate, professional, and masters runners are up to. This time I came away with a new take on my training. For about the past two years I've "been training for a 5k." Mysteriously, I've been side tracked by 1 marathon, 1 half marathon, a 10 miler, and a 10k. No 5k.

I've ran several time trials on the treadmill and can just feel my new 5k PR dying to get out. I find myself waiting for the perfect time to sign up for a race and really go for it. But as you can see, and as RT pointed out, the "perfect time" might never come...so why am I still on the treadmill? Not to mention, I have the wondrous Woodlands $1 5k race every 2nd and 4th Sat. practically sitting in my back yard! No promise that there will be good competition, but at least I'd be out racing. NOT TO MENTION, the really high expectations that I'd be placing on myself if I just trained and trained and then signed up for one "perfect time" race. If I can start racing a bit more frequently, I'd give myself a greater chance of reaching my goal.

What am I getting at? Feb. 27th, The Woodlands $1 5k race and me.

and that's our new challenge! Sign up for a race...are you in?

No comments: