Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Healthy(er) treats

Cookies may never be carrots, but these two recipes were really tasty and not too rough on the old ticker.

My favorite first

Fiber One Crunch Fudge Cookies

1 box (1 lb 2.3 oz) brownie mix
2 cups Fiber One cereal
1/3 cup water
1 egg
1 Tbs. vegetable oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1/8 tsp. ground cinnamon
2 Tbs. miniature semisweet chocolate chips

1. Heat oven to 350. Spray cookie sheet with cooking spray. Mix all ingredients in large bowl. Drop by rounded tablespoonfuls 2' apart on cookie sheet.
2. Bake 10-12 mins until set. Cool 2 mins, remove from cookie sheet and cool completely.

1 cookie: 70 cals, 1g Fat, 13g carbos, 2g Fiber
...it didn't mention sugar, which I assume is high!

I also thought next time I'll substitute some of the oil for ground flax seed and nix the chocolate chips which really didn't stand out to me. ...even better! I just gave these to some 12 & under people and they gobbled them up!

Healthy No Bake Cookies (which I found on Simply Healthful...that link right over there)

6 Tbs. soy or Almond milk (I just used regular)
2/3 c sucanat or 6 Tbs. honey (I used honey)
2 big Tbs. cocoa or carob powder
3 tsp. vanilla or almond ex.
2/3 c peanut or almond butter
1/4 c ground flax seed
2 big Tbs. wheat germ
2 c oats

Mix last 3 ingredients in bowl. In sauce pan, mix first 5 ingredients. Heat just till smooth. Add butter mix to dry mix and blend. Cool a bit and spoon onto wax paper.

1 comment:

chase said...

I just printed the recipe and will try these this weekend! You know, EASTER weekend which will include multiple egg hunts (in addition to the two the boys are at today), a cookie decorating station that I am personally in charge of (you think they'd mind decorating Fiber One Crunch Fudge Cookies?!), and a SERIOUS Easter meal at Jeni's on Sunday. So scratch that. I'll make these THREE weekends from now when my arteries finally recover from this weekend. Sigh...
Another question. I saw you mentioned that you will sub the ground flax seed for oil. I've been wanting to try that. So just follow the sub recipes on the flax seed box or what?
Thanks, Kel!