Friday, June 11, 2010

New Book

I just finished reading Dr. Abravanel's Body Type Diet And Lifetime Nutrition Plan. You select a nutrion plan based on which of four glands (Adrenal, Thyroid, Gonadal, Pituitary), if you're a woman, or three glands (Adrenal, Thyroid, Pituitary), if you're a man, is most dominant in your body. You determine your dominant gland by assessing your body image, where you put on weight, personality characterisitcs, and food cravings. This gland is often overstimulated in the process of satisfying cravings. Due to constant overstimulaiton, the dominant gland is exausted, unable to function, and weight gain persists. Dr. Abravanel teaches to avoid foods that you crave and in doing so, you will lose the craving. Eventually, the tired gland will become active again, but you must continue to avoid trigger foods throught your life. He claims that you will lose weight from trouble spots and have greater dieting success as a result of fewer cravings. This book also includes exercise recomendations, weekly menu plans, success strategies, and lots of other good-sound-advice.


I happen to be of the Adernal sort and liked several of the recommendations and guidelines based on my body type. I've always felt a little guily not being able to eat a very big breakfast. You know, Breakfast like a King, Lunch like a Queen, Dinner like a Peasant. Or even keeping meals equally proportinate. This book recommended that my type eat a small breakfast...for me the bigger the breakfast the more I eat ALL DAY...so let's avoid that! I also liked the spacing between meals. 5 hours between breafast and lunch, 6 hours between lunch and dinner. Seems like a long time, but for me it gives my body a chance to digest and spend at least an hour burning in the fat zone. I'm hungry for meals, but am more quickly satisfied.

Anyway, it's one worth reading...and fun to find you type.

3 comments:

Texas Tingey said...

Very cool and interesting...Julie told me a little about it. I will have to find that book!! Or do you have it still?

Kelly said...

i still have it and can go over your profile with you...

yi said...

I regularly visit your blog.
Keep on challenging!